Monday, March 11, 2013

Art of Africa

Finally found someone who could capture me in wood. Sitting on the front porch of my motel room listeningto the rain fall and reflecting on this trip as I wait for the time when I can skype my honey. Sitting in my walled off complex with the security people at the gate and walking around the rooms. It is impossible to be able to put everything one is feeling into words. We met a young lady this week who was married for five years and then lost her husband to malaria,she was left with three young daughters to raise by herself,unfourtunatly this is a common story that we hear about losing spouses to aids or other dieseses. There is no running water anywhere in this city of 65000, no gas, the people that have elecrtity have to put up with nightly outages. No one out side the city has any of these things,cooking is done with charcoal that the locals make and sell,you see men on bikes hauling charcoal to the market to sell every day.about the only bikes that you see are used to carry things to and from markets,bikes are rare cars even more so,almost everyone walks.
  Everything is so slow I think that the Lord decided to send me here to give me a lesson in patience. Rod ,Eric and I are used to making things happen in a hurry,that just doesn't happen here,which is frustrating when so many need so much you what to get it done in a hurry.
  The president is trying to stamp out corruption in the country but when that has been the way of life for so long here it wouldn't be done over night.
  My time here is quickly coming to an end I need to get back to my buisness,which has been taken care or so well by Art and Donna. It's so frustrating to have to leave with so much to be done. It will take years and years of work here.It is my hope that what is started here will contine on long after I am dead and gone and impact many lives for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment